Sunday, July 20, 2008

The three mile radius fritatta...



My friend Mike and myself worked up a hunger after a beer/banjo/guitar session on my porch.

Eggs (mine were from Knoll Farm, wonderful deep golden yolks, and the best damn eggs around) are the one thing I would be happy including in some way shape or form in every meal, wheather it be breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I went scrouging in the fridge, and pulled out a handful of snap peas, a koosa squash (normally stuffed, a Lebanese dish...) and the montherload...a basket of over a pound of chaterelles. I asked mike to prep the mushrooms. He asked "All off them?"...we grinned as I said that yes...we should eat them all. We grabbed some sage and parsley from my porch, and were underway.

When sitting on my porch eating, I thought about where each ingrediant came from...as i do whenever I eat or cook, as it is this connection that makes cooking and eating an intimate experience for me. I realized that everything we were eating came from a 3 mile radius. This was bliss. I think we will write a song about it! Here is how to make my fritatta..

4 Eggs, beaten and seasoned
1# Chanterelles, cleaned and larger ones torn into thirds.
a Hand Full of your favorite farms Snap Peas, sliced on the bias into 1/3rds
1 Clove New Garlic chopped
1 Squash(The koosa is normally stuffed, and its flavor(bland) and texture lends it best to that..so use a summer squash or zucchini) halved and cut into 1/4" pieces.
1T Fresh Sage, chopped
1T fresh parsley chopped
Some Butter
A tad of olive oil
S&P

Turn on your broiler.

Over medium high heat, add a bit of olive oil, saute(in a oven safe pan) and season the squash untill a nice carmelization appears on the sides. Remove from pan and set aside.

Turn up the heat to high, add a tad more oil to coat the bottom of pan, and add the chanterelles. Move them around with a wooden spoon while cooking untill the start to develop some golden brown hues. Add about 2 T butter, the new garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds. Make sure the butter has coated the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to meduim. Add in the reserved squash, the snap peas and herbs mix up a bit, pour in the the eggs, allow to cook for about one minute, just till eggs set, the move the pan to the oven and allow to cook under the broiler for about 3 minutes, untill eggs just start to color, but don't let them get too dry!

Remove from oven and finish with some of your favorite local grating cheese
And Viola! your own 3 mile radius fritatta.

No comments: